Jumpstart Grow using a Lattice Track Template
Lattice makes it easier for your organization to get started with Grow by providing track templates directly in the platform that you can use. Track templates, with pre-loaded competencies, levels, and expectations, are a great starting point if your company does not yet have a competency framework in place or if you are looking for best practices to structure a matrix.
This article covers the following topics:
- Create a track from a template
- Lattice Individual Contributor and Manager Templates
- List of pre-filled track templates available
Create a track from a template
Step 1: Navigate to Admin > Grow > Tracks > Templates.
Step 2: Select a specific track template.
Step 3: Select Use this template.
Step 4: Edit the template to include or remove competencies and expectations.
Lattice Individual Contributor and Manager Templates
Along with the numerous templates we provide from our customers and the broader Lattice community, we also provide Individual Contributor and Manager track templates created by our very own Lattice Advisory Services.
Within both matrices, there are four competency themes; each theme has several competencies within it. The themes are:
- Impact: This theme describes what the job is. It’s a set of role competencies that articulates the scope and complexity of the role that needs to be done.
- Behaviors: This theme describes how the job gets done. It’s a set of behavioral competencies that articulates the inherent behaviors that convey the collaboration and communication that an individual in the role should exhibit.
- Management (only for managers): This theme describes people management work that the role requires. It’s a set of management competencies that articulates the characteristics of effective leaders and translates them into measurable behaviors.
- Functional skills: This theme describes what skills and experience are necessary to do the role. It’s a set of technical competencies that articulates the application of knowledge and skills needed for success in specialized fields.
Different Templates for Different Sized Companies
There are two company sizes that have corresponding Grow templates: Smaller and
Larger. Smaller company matrices are automatically included in Lattice for organizations with 150 employees or less. Larger companies with more than 150 employees will have a different set of matrices.
The two templates are different in the following ways:
1. The number of competencies. Both template sizes include all four sections defined above: Impact, Behavior, Management, and Functional Skills. However, the larger company template includes the following competencies that the smaller company template does not, given the ever-changing nature of work at growing (smaller) companies:
- Impact: Autonomy
- Behavior: Collaboration
- Management: Supervision
- Functional Skills: Product Knowledge
2. The number of job levels. The smaller company template has 4 job levels (L2-L5), and the larger company template has 6 job levels (L1-L6). Once an organization hits a certain size, the expanded specialization requirements merit adding a Level 1 and Level 6 to account for additional junior- and senior-level work.
- Level 1 is added into the larger company template as companies can hire more junior talent, and increased mentorship and management resources are available.
- Level 6 is added to the larger company template as companies mature, and the organization requires more senior-level work and executive presence.
List of pre-filled track templates available
The following templates are available in Lattice: