The full list of questions for direct report recommended talking points in 1:1s
The recommended talking points inspire direct reports with optional questions to add to their 1:1s. These questions are drawn from content in the Lattice Library, which has been gathered and vetted by HR experts and researchers in organizational behavior. Others have come from business and people leaders who publish their content publicly, made specifically to identify what matters to employees, understand their problems or concerns, and support them more effectively.
Engagement and morale
- How are you doing?
- Looking ahead, what are you most hopeful for and worried about?
- Any tips or advice on how to avoid burnout?
- What’s your highest priority right now? How can I help?
- Align on my top priorities
- What's more important right now, quality or quantity?
- What is a process or project that I could start owning?
- What are your long-term goals for the team?
- What are your plans for team size and composition?
- Any tips or advice on time management?
- How well do you think we're tracking our goals?
- Is there anything I should prepare ahead of our next one-on-one?
Collaboration and teamwork
- Who would you like me to start talking to or working with more?
- What's the best way to get your input on my work?
- What part of my job would you like more visibility into?
- What's your preferred way to receive updates?
- What should I be mindful of when working with other teams or team members?
- Review how tasks and responsibilities are currently distributed across our team.
- Align on what I should consider adding to my growth plan.
- Any recommendations on upcoming conferences or events I should attend?
- Are there any functional skills you think I should consider developing?
- What strengths do you believe I bring to our team?
- What skill gaps do you see on our team?
- Are there professional development resources that you would recommend for me?
- What new skills could really help me grow here?
- What could I do to accelerate my career development?
- What are some books you’d recommend for developing my career?
- What do you think it takes for someone to succeed at this company?
- Align on what the next phase of my career here might look like.
- Align on my goals / expectations for the coming period.
- Review progress on my goals and align on expectations.
- Is there anything I should be doing differently? (Please provide examples)
- Who on our team should I be asking for feedback?
- How could I better contribute to our team meetings? (Please provide examples)
- What should I be more mindful of? (Please provide examples)
- Is there anything I should start doing more of? (Please provide examples)
- What’s something I should consider changing? (Please provide examples)
- What feedback do you have for me, positive and/or constructive? (Please provide examples)
- What is something that I can improve on? (Please provide examples)
- What's a recent situation that you think I could have handled differently?
- What is an area that you think I could use coaching on? (Please provide examples)
- What is one thing that I could be doing that I’m not? (Please provide examples)
- Where have I had the most impact over the past few months? (Please provide examples)
- What kinds of things do I have a habit of missing or dismissing too quickly? (Please provide examples)
- What's something I did recently that highlights a strength or a weakness?