How to use the context panel to view current and past reviews in a review cycle
While writing a review, reviewers can access current and previous review responses the reviewee has received. Reviewers can utilize this information to help provide additional context and examples to their responses.
This article covers the following topics:
- Before you start
- Entering the review cycle
- Using the reviews context panel
- Viewing current review responses
- Viewing past review responses
- Review Visibility
Before you start
Reviews will only be visible to reviewers who have visibility into the user's reviews via a role or relationship. What the reviewer can see depends on their role and, for previous reviews, whether or not the review packet has been shared with the reviewee. For more information, check out the Review Visibility section outlined in this article.
Entering the review cycle
You can enter your review cycle from your Home page or from the People navigation bar.
Entering your review via the Homepage:
Using the reviews context panel
Step 1: Select the name of your reviewee from the left-hand panel. On the right-hand side, the context panel will become visible.
Once you have entered the Reviews tool within the context panel, you will notice a list of reviewers for the current review cycle at the top of the panel.
- If the reviewer has already submitted their responses, you can expand the reviewer card to view their responses.
- If the review is in progress, but the reviewer has not submitted their responses, you will see an In Progress status next to their name within the reviewer card.
Past review cycles can be found directly under current reviews. To view past review responses, select a review under Past Reviews.
Once you have entered a previous cycle, you can group responses by reviewer or question. From here, expand each reviewer or question card to view responses submitted for the reviewee during the previous cycle.
Reviews are only visible to the reviewers who have the correct permissions assigned to view the responses.
Important Note for Current Reviews: Reviewers can only view responses for active reviews if the manager and peer visibility have been configured in the review settings.
- Managers can view all submitted reviews for their direct reports when reviewing their direct reports.
- Managers of Managers, if configured via Permissions, can view all submitted reviews for their indirect reports when reviewing their indirect reports.
- Custom relationships (Dotted-line managers), if configured via Permissions can view all submitted reviews for reviewers they have been granted Reviews visibility into when reviewing those reviewees.
- Secondary downward reviewers can view all current reviews for the reviewee. Once the secondary downward reviewer submits their review, their manager-like access is removed, and they can only see what they wrote.
- Peers can view only self-reviews of the peers they are reviewing.
- Direct reports will not have visibility into reviews for the reviewees they are reviewing.
- All reviewers can view reviews they have written, regardless of the direction, state of the review cycle, or whether the review packet has been shared with the reviewee or not.
- Managers can view all past reviews for their direct reports when reviewing their direct reports, even if they were not the manager at the time of the previous review.
- Managers of Managers can view all past reviews for their direct and indirect reports when reviewing them, even if they were not their manager's manager at the time of the previous review.
- Custom relationships (Dotted-line managers) do not have visibility into past reviews.
- Secondary downward reviewers can view only the past reviews they wrote for the reviewee when reviewing them.
- Past project leads, via project-based reviews, can view all reviews submitted for the reviewee from a past project-based review cycle when reviewing them in the current cycle.
- Past Summary writer and sharers for a reviewee at the time of a previous review cycle can view all visible reviews in that review cycle, even if they are not currently the reviewee user's summary writer or manager. They are granted managerial level access for that review cycle forever.
- Self reviewers can view all reviews from their past reviews as long as the review packet has been shared with them. If the review packet has not been shared, they will only see the self-review they wrote and no others. If they did not write a self review in that review cycle, they would not see anything related to that review cycle.
Please note: If a report has two managers assigned to perform a downward review, the secondary manager will have visibility into the line manager's downward review once it has been submitted and vice versa.