Originally developed in 2018, Lattice's survey templates underwent a thorough review and redevelopment in 2022. Beginning with academic foundations, we used a combination of real-world utilization data and internal expertise to refine our question and theme set. We then validated these questions and themes with external experts, trusted thought partners in our Resources for Humans community, and a selection of customers.
This process has resulted in templates that are clear, consistent, and simple to interpret, and clearly connect to action-planning.
Admins can set up a survey using this and other premade templates or start from scratch with your own questions. Visit Lattice Survey Templates to learn more.
The Engagement survey template measures:
- Core engagement
- Growth and Development
- People Programs and Operations
- Psychological Safety
- Senior Leadership
Themes & questions
Note: Questions marked with an asterisk ( * ) are new and do not have enough data yet to set accurate benchmark scores. Benchmarking will be able for this set at our next benchmark update in 2024.
Theme: Employee Net Promoter Score (eNPS)
See How to Calculate eNPS article
- How likely are you to recommend [this company]?
- Includes prompt: “Briefly explain the score you gave for the question above: "How likely are you to recommend this company?"”
Theme: Core Engagement
The Core Engagement theme serves as a high-level temperature check of Employee Engagement levels at the company. It measures the dimensions of trust, purpose, community, growth, and a person’s relationship with the company, colleagues, and their role
- I feel fulfilled by the work that I’m doing.
- I feel invested in our mission, vision, and values.
- I feel connected to the people at this company.
- I’m motivated to do my best work.*
- I’d like to be working at this company a year from now.*
Pride is a key indicator of a person’s commitment to the company. At the macro (company) level, pride among employees is representative of an employer’s brand, but also that company’s brand in general. At the micro (individual) level, having pride in one’s work fosters a sense of ownership and builds on connections between a person, their work, and their relationship with the company. Pride theme measures the dimensions of employer brand, future outlook, and commitment to the company.
- I'm proud to tell others that I'm part of this company.
- I'm proud of the contributions I make to this company.
- I talk up this company to my friends as a great place to work.
- What three words would you use to describe your experience at this company? [Open-Ended]
Well-being is the extent to which employees feel that the company cares for their mental health and well-being. It measures the dimensions of workload, flexibility, and balance.
- I have time and energy for my life outside of work.
- I have a manageable workload.*
- I'm able to work in a way that works for me (for example: hybrid, flexing, hours, caregiving, etc).*
Theme: DEIB (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Belonging)
DEIB includes questions to determine employee sentiment on the dimensions of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging at the company.
- This company is demographically diverse.*
- People from all demographic backgrounds have equal opportunities to provide opinions and input at this company.*
- People from all demographic backgrounds have an equal opportunity to succeed at this company.
- I feel like I belong in this company.
- What three words would you use to describe the culture at this company? [Open-Ended]
Role relates employee satisfaction regarding their own role at the company. It measures the dimensions of an employee’s overall sentiment, whether they have the stuff they need to effectively perform their job, and whether they’re focused on doing the right work.
- I know where to look when I need help or resources.
- I have the tools and the resources to do my job.
- I have the autonomy I need to do my job well.
- My role aligns with my strengths.
- My role has been meeting my expectations.*
Theme: Growth and Development
Growth and Development includes questions that measure employee sentiment about career development support and future opportunities/options.
- I have the opportunity and time in my schedule to grow and develop in my role.*
- I can see myself growing and developing my career in this company.
- I have had a meaningful conversation at work about my career development in the past six months.
- I find my work to be a positive challenge.
- What is one change this company could make to help you maximize your potential? [Open-Ended]
Alignment serves as the “how (do we get there)?” Broadly speaking, alignment measures the dimensions of what connects a company’s mission, vision, and values to its people. Alignment is how to ensure that everybody is working toward a clear, shared goal(s). Tactically speaking, it’s the way employees can understand whether they’re prioritizing the right things.
- I have a clear understanding of my responsibilities and expectations at work.
- I'm able to prioritize my work according to my goals.*
- I understand how my work contributes to company goals.*
Theme: People Programs and Operations
People Programs and Operations measures things like employee sentiment on tactical topics like resourcing, as well as program effectiveness. These are grouped together, as they don’t often have common/shared owners. People Programs and Operations measures dimensions like availability of resources, accessibility of resources, and program effectiveness.
- The input I provide to this company (via this survey and other channels) makes a difference.*
- I feel my performance is evaluated fairly.
- I understand how my compensation is determined.*
- Our benefits packages support my personal needs and plans.*
Theme: Psychological Safety
Psychological Safety is an indicator of how safe employees feel to take risks and contribute creatively. It measures the dimensions of addressing challenging issues, collaborating/asking for help, learning through risk taking, and whether employees feel supported and appreciated.
- I feel comfortable asking other members of my team for help.
- I feel comfortable sharing constructive or challenging feedback to members of my team.
- I feel supported by my coworkers to achieve success in my role.
- I feel appreciated when I do good work.
- I feel safe taking risks and making mistakes on this team.
Team dynamics are a key driver of Employee Engagement. Within each team exists a micro-culture, unique to that specific team. The Team theme focuses on the way people work and get along with their immediate team. It measures the dimensions of communication among team members, information sharing, and relationships between team members.
- My team communicates effectively.*
- We have the right people on my team to do the work we need to do.
- If I could choose, I would continue working on this team.
Management relates to employee sentiment regarding one’s direct line manager. It measures the dimensions of overall sentiment toward one’s manager, decision making, communication, feedback (giving/receiving), and manager performance.
- My manager communicates clear goals for our team.
- My manager makes decisions effectively.
- My manager regularly shares relevant information from their manager and senior leadership.
- My manager supports me in my work.
- My manager gives me actionable feedback on a regular basis.
- If I could choose, I would continue working with my manager.
Theme: Senior Leadership
Senior Leadership relates to employee perception about senior leadership’s behavior and qualities. It measures the dimensions of trust, DEIB, company values, and company direction.
- Our senior leaders model our expected behaviors and values.*
- The senior leadership team's actions show their commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging for all employees.
- I believe in the direction that our senior leadership is taking us.*
- I trust the decisions of the senior leadership in this company.
- What do you wish senior leadership knew about your experience at this company? [Open-Ended]