Exit Surveys give admins a chance to gather key feedback from employees who are exiting the company to identify and address aspects of work-life that lead to employee attrition.
Before you start
- Unlike Engagement or Pulse surveys, Exit surveys are identifiable so that the account admin can follow up with the employee if necessary.
- Exit surveys are not automated so that admins can have fine-grained control over when the exit surveys are sent.
- Exit survey results will not be deleted once the employee is archived.
Create an exit survey
- Navigate to Admin > Engagement > Exit.
- Select Get started.
- Choose to use Lattice's Exit Survey template or create one from scratch.
Designing your exit survey
Give your survey a specific name so that down the line, you can easily find it again. We recommend having the type of survey and the date in the name, for example, "Exit Survey Mar 2020".
Survey details help provide employees with a brief description or instructions to help them respond to the survey. For example, you can link to outside resources that give participants a better understanding of their expectations. You can also use the description to clarify language - such as a callout to keep their direct supervisor in mind whenever a question references the word "manager." Remember to keep it brief; longer descriptions can increase bias. Survey details will be shown to all participants before starting the survey and are accessible throughout.
Employees that are survey admins can configure survey settings and have full access to the results. You can set admins on a per survey basis. This means that any employee can be an admin of a survey without having administrative access to other parts of Lattice (reviews, private feedback, etc.), including other onboarding or engagement surveys. You can come back to this step even after your survey has launched to add or remove any survey admins.
The first step (and one of the most important steps) of the exit survey process is deciding which questions you're going to ask.
Lattice Surveys come with a question bank based on the Lattice Exit Survey template. These questions would work well in any organization looking to run a general exit survey.
If you wish, you can remove any questions. To add custom questions, create the question within the question bank first before adding to your survey.
Add any current employees eligible to receive an Exit Survey.
- Add participants later: Choose this option if you want to configure settings and questions, but you're not ready to send a survey to anyone right away.
- Add participants now: Choose this option if you want to send a survey to an employee right away.
When adding participants now, selecting Send [number] survey... and confirming will immediately send an exit survey to the employees added. This cannot be undone once sent.
Next, learn how to send an exit survey to future participants.