Admins can sync equity grant data from Carta into Lattice for Total Compensation views. There are two ways to upload employee pay data manually via CSV or via Carta.
Note: Lattice does not support nonlinear vesting schedules or equity based on multiple currencies.
Step 1: Download the data from Carta
The first step is to download the Securities ledger export, which includes all the required data. Navigate to Capitalization > Reporting > Cap Table > Securities Ledgers by Type and Class.
Depending on your version of Carta, your path to this export may be slightly different. If you are unable to find this exact export, any export with the following data for each grant is acceptable:
- Optionholder Email
- Grant Date
- Options Granted
- Vesting Commencement Date
- Exercise Price
- Vesting Schedule
Within the export, each row should be a separate grant. The export may have multiple sheets or tabs, which we will address in the next step. You can ignore the ledger tabs and focus on those related to your employee equity plans.
Step 2: Combine data into CSV format
Depending on how your company's equity is structured, you may see multiple tabs in your export that separate different types of equity. The only data required to upload is the data for active employees.
All data must be in single tab and be saved in CSV format to upload. If different types of equity are captured in other tabs (e.g., both ISO and RSUs), copy the data into a single tab and delete any extra tabs.
Step 3: Update employee emails and clean data of inactive employees
Next, clean up the data import for Lattice:
- Add a new column called "Employee work email".
- Update the column with each employee's work email. This must match the email in Lattice.
- Delete any grants that belong to parties not currently active employees in Lattice (e.g., former employees, investors, etc.).
You may need to use a VLOOKUP matching formula in either Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel. For detailed instructions on using a VLOOKUP formula, see Prepare the Equity Upload CSV.
Step 4: Upload file to Lattice
Once the file is in a single tab in CSV format, with the emails updated to be the employee work emails, you can upload the file into Lattice.
Note: The upload has a limit of 1500 rows. CSV files that exceed the limit must be broken up to multiple files.
- Navigate to Admin > Compensation > Total Compensation.
- Go to Configuration > Equity > Edit Settings. This will take you to the Equity Setup page.
- Click Upload Employee equity data. You'll receive a popup modal prompting you to select either Carta or Other Providers as the source of equity data. Select Carta.
- Upload the CSV that was created in the previous steps and click Save.
Step 5: Populate vesting schedule information
If the upload was successful, you will be prompted to map vesting schedule data in the modal. Because Carta only provides the name of a vesting schedule, this step is necessary to ensure Lattice has the correct vesting values to calculate vesting schedules.
For each unique detected vesting schedule, you will be prompted to fill in the values for:
- Term (months): Length of the entire vesting period; Value must be an integer in months (e.g., 48 for 48 months)
- Vesting Cliff (months): Length of any vesting cliffs; Value must be an integer in months (or 0 if there is no cliff)
- Vesting Cadence: Frequency that the grant vests, accepted values are daily, weekly, monthly, every 2 months, every 3 months, every 6 months, and annually
- % immediately vested: If some portion of the grant vests on day 0, a number must be represented as an integer between 0 and 100
If you need clarification on the values for a given vesting schedule, check in Carta by looking at the different vesting schedule templates. See below for an example of what that looks like within Carta.
Step 6: Submit final upload
Once vesting schedules are confirmed, submit a final upload. If you want to change the vesting schedule mappings in the future, re-enter the flow with the grants and you will be able to re-enter the mapped vesting schedule values.