If you are experiencing issues adding users to Lattice using a CSV Upload, we recommend following the steps below to troubleshoot the problem. You can re-upload the CSV as many times as you want with no negative effects as long as you don't change an employee's email address (changes to email addresses will generate new accounts).
Note: Admins must change employee emails by editing their profiles directly. Learn more in Update Employee Information Via The Employee Profile.
- Ensure all email addresses are valid. You can do this easily using the "ISEMAIL()" function in Google Sheets.
- Ensure you're using a CSV file when uploading your employee data into Lattice - the file extension must be ".csv".
- Ensure you have headers in your CSV. The CSV must include the fields Full Name, Title, Email, Status, and Manager Email. You may also include fields for Start Date, Phone Number, and any other Custom User Fields you've added to Lattice.
- Ensure there are no fields with exponents or errors. You can have blank fields, but make sure they are actually empty.
- Ensure there are no unexpected special characters in any fields (e.g., %, $)
- Ensure dates are in the format YYYY-MM-DD
Notes on upload behavior
If the CSV uploaded contains a field as a column and some rows contain empty values, the previous field value for those users will be removed. This does not apply to name or employee email fields, nor does it apply to employee IDs if they are set. For an employee's role, the field will populate with "n/a" if left blank on a CSV. If you only need to add or change one or a few users' details, you can upload a partial .csv containing those users' email addresses and user fields (custom and required).
Q: My CEO doesn't have a manager. Do I need to fill in this field before uploading my CSV?
A: When uploading the CSV into Lattice, you should leave the "manager" field blank for the CEO and any employees at the top of the org chart.
Q: Can I leave a field blank in the CSV?
A: Leaving fields blank will remove that user field's current information for all non-required fields. Required fields will be skipped.
Q: What if I only need to update the details for a few users?
A: You can upload a partial .csv containing only rows for selected users. Excluding email addresses/users from the upload will not impact those users' accounts.
Q: I'm seeing an error that says "CyclicOrgTreeError". How can I fix this issue?
A: This issue is most likely caused if two employees are said to be reporting to each other. For example, if I indicate Michael Stein (CEO) is reporting to Joseph Stone (VP of Ops), but Joseph Stone is also reporting to Michael Stein, I'll see this error. To troubleshoot this, you can remove a manager from the CEO, Michael Stein's "manager" column, save the CSV, and then re-upload.
If you have followed these steps and continue receiving an error, please send a screenshot of your error message to Customer Care to troubleshoot the next steps. You can reach out to the by chatting in or emailing the team at email@example.com.