If you are experiencing any issues adding users to Lattice using a CSV Upload, we recommend following the steps listed below to troubleshoot the issue. You can re-upload the CSV as many times as you want with no negative effects, as long as you don't change an employee's email address (changes to email addresses will generate new accounts).
Note: Admins must change employee emails by editing their profiles directly. To learn more about this process, check out this help center article here!
- Make sure all your email addresses are valid. You can do this easily by using the function "ISEMAIL()" in Google Sheets.
- Make sure you're using a CSV file when uploading your employee data into Lattice - the file extension must be ".csv".
- Make sure that you have headers in your CSV. The CSV must include fields for Full Name, Title, Email, Status, and Manager Email. You may also include fields for Start Date, Phone Number, and any other Custom Attributes you've added to Lattice.
- Make sure there are no fields with exponents or errors. You can have fields that are blank, but make sure they are actually empty!
- Make sure there are no unexpected special characters in any fields (e.g. %, $)
- Make sure that your dates are in the format YYYY-MM-DD
Notes on upload behavior
If the CSV uploaded contains a field as a column and there are rows that contain empty values, the previous field value for those users will be removed. This does not apply to name or employee email fields, nor does it apply to employee IDs if they are set. For an employee's role, the field will populate with "n/a" if left blank on a CSV. If you only need to add or change one or a few users' details, you can upload a partial .csv that just contains the email addresses and attributes (custom and required) of those users.
Q: My CEO doesn't have a manager, do I need to fill in this field before uploading my CSV?
A: You should leave the "manager" field blank for the CEO and any employees who are at the top of the org chart when uploading the CSV into Lattice.
Q: Can I leave a field blank in the CSV?
A: Leaving fields blank will remove that attribute's current information for all non-required fields. Required fields will be skipped.
Q: What if I only need to update the details for a few users?
A: You can upload a partial .csv that only contains rows for selected users. Excluding email addresses/users from the upload will not effect those users' accounts.
Q: I'm seeing an error that says "CyclicOrgTreeError". How can I fix this issue?
A: This issue is most likely caused if two employees are said to be reporting to each other. For example, if I indicate Michael Stein (CEO) is reporting to Joseph Stone (VP of Ops) but Joseph Stone is also reporting to Michael Stein, I'll see this error. To troubleshoot this, you can simply remove a manager from the CEO, Michael Stein's "manager" column, save the CSV, then re-upload.
If you have followed these steps and are continuing to receive an error, please send a screenshot of your error message to Customer Care to troubleshoot next steps. You can reach out to the by chatting in or emailing the team at firstname.lastname@example.org.