Permissions and visibility for a dotted-line (secondary) manager.
What is a dotted-line manager?
A dotted-line manager is a user who is an additional manager to a user in Lattice but is not their primary manager shown in the Org Chart.
To create a dotted-line manager, follow the steps listed below:
- Create a dotted-line manager field
- Apply the custom field to employees
- Configure what visibility to give the dotted-line manager
Create a dotted-line manager field
- Navigate to Admin > Settings > People > Fields.
- Click Create field.
- Choose Relationship as the field type.
- Add a custom field Name.
- Under Visibility, choose who can see the custom field.
- Click Add field.
Apply the custom field to employees
You must apply the custom field to employees via either CSV or manually.
Note: Dotted-lined managers will not have visibility into their assigned employees until visibility has been set up.
Apply the custom field via CSV
To bulk change the custom fields of many employees at once, admins can upload a CSV. In the CSV, be sure to have a column for the custom field you want to change and that all of the values for each employee are valid options for that custom field. To upload a field that is a custom relationship, use that user's email address in Lattice to designate the relationship in the CSV.
Learn more in Manage Custom Fields.
Apply the custom field manually
- Navigate to Admin > Organization > Directory.
- Find the employee you would like to give another employee visibility into.
- Click on the ellipsis (...) > Edit profile to the right of that employee's name.
- Under the Custom section, add the employee you want to grant visibility to. For example, suppose I want to give Jack manager-type visibility into Preston's profile. In that case, I will want to 1) click in to edit Preston's profile and then 2) add Jack's name under the "Dotted Line Manager" custom field I created.
- Click Save.
Configure what visibility to give the dotted-line manager
- Navigate to Admin > Settings > People > Permissions > Custom relationships.
- Click Edit next to the associated field.
- Choose one of the seven visibility options for the custom relationships:
- Click Save.
Note: The employee assigned as the dotted-line manager will be able to view the relationship by navigating to My team.