How to set custom weights to key results.
Weighted goals allow goal owners to customize and communicate the relative importance of each child goal and key result. Owners can customize how much each child impacts its parents' progress across multiple levels.
Note: In order to set custom weights, an admin must turn on this feature first. Instructions here.
There are two places a goal owner can change the weight of their key results:
Apply custom weighting after publishing a goal
Note: Custom weighting is only available for goals with a binary parent.
- Publish your goal.
- A confirmation popup will appear –– The key results will be weighted equally by default. To edit, select Edit weights.
- Insert the weight distribution for each goal under the Weight column on the right-hand side.
- Click Save.
After setting the desired weight for a specific key result, the Distribute remaining button sets distribution quickly and evenly to all other key results.
For example, Andrea, the goal owner is certain she wants to have her "Hire 1 assistant to the Director of BizOps" key result to be weighed at 20%, with the rest of the percent weights being measured evenly across the rest of her key results. Andrea can enter 20% for her desired key result and leave all other fields blank. Then, she will select Distribute remaining.
This will distribute the remaining 80% evenly across key results.
Apply custom weighting from the Goals Page
- Select Goals on the discovery navigation.
- Find and click on the goal you would like to edit to open the context panel.
- Select Edit weights.
- The exact editing weights modal shown above will appear. Here, you can make your edits and Save.