Jump start Grow using a Lattice Matrix Template
Lattice makes it easier for your organization to get started with Grow by providing matrix templates directly in the platform that you can use. Matrix templates are a great starting point if your company does not yet have a competency framework in place or if you are looking for best practices to structure a matrix.
Create a Track with a Template
Step 1: Enter the Admin tab and navigate down to the Grow console. Select "Tracks".
Step 2: Select "Create track" and then "Create from template".
You will have the option to create a track from either an Individual Contributor template or a Manager template. Each template has 4-6 job levels and 9-12 competencies.
Step 3: After previewing the template, select "Use this template" to create your draft.
Step 4: Edit the template to include or remove competencies and expectations.
Within each competency matrix, there are four competency sections, each section has a number of competencies within it. The sections are:
- Impact: This section describes what the job is. It’s a set of role competencies, that articulates the scope and complexity of the role that needs to be done.
- Behaviors: This section describes how the job gets done. It’s a set of behavioral competencies that articulates the inherent behaviors that articulate the collaboration and communication that an individual in the role should exhibit.
- Management (only for managers): This section describes people management work that the role requires. It’s a set of management competencies that articulates the characteristics of effective leaders and translates them into measurable behaviors.
- Functional skills: This section describes what skills and experience are necessary to do the role. It’s a set of technical competencies that articulates the application of knowledge and skills needed for success in specialized fields.
Different Templates for Different Sized Companies
There are two company sizes that have corresponding Grow templates: Smaller and
Larger. Smaller company matrices are automatically included in Lattice for organizations with 150 employees or less. Larger companies with more than 150 employees will have a different set of matrices.
The two templates are different in the following ways:
1. The number of competencies. Both template sizes include all four sections defined above: Impact, Behavior, Management, and Functional Skills. However, the larger company template includes the following competencies that the smaller company template does not, given the ever-changing nature of work at growing (smaller) companies:
- Impact: Autonomy
- Behavior: Collaboration
- Management: Supervision
- Functional Skills: Product Knowledge
2. The number of job levels. The smaller company template has 4 job levels (L2-L5) and the larger company template has 6 job levels (L1-L6). Once an organization hits a certain size, the expanded specialization requirements merit adding a Level 1 and Level 6 to account for additional junior- and senior-level work.
- Level 1 is added into the larger company template as companies are able to hire more junior talent, and increased mentorship and management resources are available.
- Level 6 is added to the larger company template as companies mature, and the organization requires more senior level work and executive presence.